Monday 17 August 2009

The rise and fall of the dark lord as a daily ride

The bike ran ok. Pretty rich and not super powerful, but coming off a 150cc 50 year-old scooter it seemed pretty good.
In an attempt to tune the carbs up I rejetted, changed air filters to old style, changed to milder pipes, rejeted again.... I ended up getting some accurately re-machined amal 930's with hand made slides. Very nice, but still fouling plugs and backfiring.
A friend brought in his Bonnie of hte same year to my workshop for me to change his oil and his kickstart shaft. I rode it and was amazed at the available power. Meanwhile, with the quieter pipes, I could hear some whining sounds coming from my engine when hot. Power loss when hot led me to the fear of a spun main bearing or soft seized piston.
TIME FOR A REBUILD..... to be continued . Below is an example of the first Bike I owned. MIne was a very rough example that I used in the dirt only from 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter