Wednesday 19 August 2009

big End

not too bad.
Despite all the talk from a p/o about rebuilds etc., the sludge trap appeared to have never been tampered with . Centre punch mark intact and not a mark on the screwdriver slot. The small ends have never been changed despite several re-bores, and the con-rods were on backwards. I am told this is not that relevant but does indicate that they have been removed at some stage.
The machinist reckons we may stay in spec on the journals as the ridging is very very shallow.
both crank bearings seemed fine. I cleaned them out thoroughly, lightly oiled them and they were smooth as.
I have ordered new ones anyway. Seems like the right thing to do.
cam bush movement is negligible, so they will stay.

The gearbox sprocket was a 21 tooth and each tooth resembled a surf wave. I have ordered a 19 to put back on. Normally I would have stuck with the long gearing to reduce vibrations at higher revs, but I have sent the crank off for dynamic balancing, so I hope to enjoy the best of both worlds sometime this year. I also expect to leave Marcus' 71 bonnie in my dust, but that is another story.

that all pretty much brings the story into the present tense. Tense being the operative word as I reassemble this beastie.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter