Saturday 22 August 2009

My wife calls me lathey

I have to confess that I have had a lathe for 12 years and haven't used it... until yesterday.
My centrestand mounts were elongated by around 2mm, so I had to make bushes for them.
The first task was trying to ream out the holes. This proved difficult as access is impossible from either side. I welded a length of 8mm rod to a 9/16 drill bit, then tapered the bit at the blunt end up to the weld. I was able to then feed the drill bit backwards in the opposing hole then fit to the drill. Worked a treat.
Next I dusted off the old lathe and use a bit of logic. Drilled through the centre first, then put shaved a bit off at a time until it was 14.3mm. Used a parting tool to cut it off and bob's yer uncle.
Tapped in nicely. These were meant to be practice ones as I am not sure the correct internal diameter required. New bolts are on order as the old ones are all kinds of fifferent sizes depending on where you measure.

I also put some weld on the 'stopping point' of the stand then ground it back, replacing some worn material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter