Tuesday 15 September 2009

Cranky and calm



Yesterday I picked up the bits from the machinist. As it is my first British rebuild I found a perfectionist pre-unit rebuilder who helped me farm out the work to his favourite perfectionist machinists.
The crank is a work of art... where me holding it is a student in the gallery and the vibration levels will be the gallery curator. We shall see.
The barrel is lovely looking. The machinist refaced the case-contact surface and corrected a cockeyed previous bore. In his words "this was done on the piss" (drunk).
Today I put the new bearings in and did a test run putting it together. Mainly to make sure I had all the case bolts.
 When they say bag and tag everything, for fukcs' sake listen. I put everything in little tubs with the sound knowledge that it was damned obvious what they were for. Let me tell you, I had a very big 80's, a wild 90's and gave the early naughties a good nudge. Short term memory is not my forte. What was I saying... ?

Oh yeah.
Me and Wes. I have a rebuild DVD from Wes at four aces. He is definitely the man. I play it over and over while I am working. I find it gives me confidence and really helps me picture stuff learned from the manual and parts books. Even how hard to hit a drift or where to point the blowtorch. Stuff you would take for granted if you were taught this stuff by an expert. Definitely a must have for the first time builder. fouracescycle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter